“Over 30 years of Family Law Experience”
39111 6 Mile Road, Suite 120
Livonia, MI 48152

Can Spouses Opt Out of Child Support?

When a divorce involves children, child support usually enters the equation. However, if you and your soon to be ex spouse are both stable, you may be wondering if you and/or your ex can opt out of child support. This means that neither party has to pay any child support to the other party. Getting answers to the questions you have about this topic will help you to understand whether this is a possibility.

Can a Spouse Opt Out of Child Support?

As a general rule of thumb, the simple answer to this question is yes. If both parties agree, and neither parent is receiving any state aid, child support can be opted out of. However, some states may require both parties to submit financial information and may decide not to allow child support opt-outs depending on that financial information.

What Needs to Be Shown In Order to Opt Out of Child Support?

The laws for what needs to be shown or filed to opt out of child support vary from state to state. Some states simply allow you to sign a waiver. Other states require full financial documentation showing both parties are able to adequately support the child on their own. Consult with a lawyer if you need to know what needs to be shown or filed in your state.

Can I Change My Mind About Child Support in the Future?

Yes. If your financial situation changes, you can ask to be awarded child support in the future. However, if you opted out of child support, you will not receive any back child support. This means that if you opt out of child support as of 05/01/2016 and decide to ask for child support on 05/01/2017, you aren't entitled to anything for that year as you opted out.

If you're looking for a professional divorce attorney to help you with your case, contact the Law Office of John R Rinn today!

How Is Child Custody Determined?

Custody is often one of the most contentious parts of any divorce, so it’s no mystery why so many people need help from a child custody lawyer. The attorney will act as both a mediator and a negotiator, with the goal of obtaining the full...

What Is an Uncontested Divorce?

When two spouses agree to a divorce, filing for an uncontested divorce will save both money and time due to streamlined legal procedures. In its most basic definition, an uncontested divorce is defined as a divorce wherein both spouses are able...

How Is Property Divided in a Divorce?

In Michigan, divorce courts distribute the marital assets in a manner they feel is fair. Unlike judges in many other states, Michigan judges are not bound by strict guidelines or formulas when making these decisions. They determine which...

What Is a Collaborative Divorce?

When we think of divorce, we often think of a long, drawn out battle that’s laden with contention, jealousy, and greed. However, that’s frequently not the case. Often, two people come to a peaceful realization that their marriage...

What Does It Take to Overturn a Custody Decision?

After a divorce, it is fairly difficult when the court doesn’t rule in your favor because at that point in time, there really is nothing more you can do but follow the orders. However, after the ruling, you have the chance to convince...

What Is a Legal Annulment?

Are you wondering whether your marriage is actually valid? Legal annulment declares that marriage never existed but this can only happen in certain situations. Since it is a civil court process, it can be just as long as a divorce and should...
Page: 12 - All

Get Legal Advice Now

* Indicates required questions
Name *
Email *
Phone #
How can we help you? *
Preferred Method of Communication
Telephone E-Mail
Can Spouses Opt Out of Child Support? - Blog - Law Offices of John R Rinn - cards
Evening & Weekend Appointments Available

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.