“Over 30 years of Family Law Experience”
39111 6 Mile Road, Suite 120
Livonia, MI 48152

What Do You Do If Your Spouse Refuses to Pay Child Support?

Custodial parents often struggle to get child support payments out of their ex-spouses. In fact, statistics show that in 2011 alone, unpaid child support payments totaled around $100 billion. 

Options for collecting overdue support payments

While it can be challenging to get overdue child support from an uncooperative ex-spouse, a custodial parents has a variety of options and resource available to collect overdue payments. It's important to note that if you don't do anything to pursue payments, you'll probably never receive them. Government agencies devoted to enforcing child support payment rulings typically won't kick into action until they are contacted and notified by the custodial parent who is not receiving payments. 

The following are a few things you can do to get overdue payments. Most of these options will require you to consult with a child support attorney or a representative from a government agency like the Office of Child Support Enforcement beforehand for help with carrying out these processes. It's also important to note that the following processes can only help custodial parents if two conditions are met: the location of the ex-spouse is known and the ex-spouse is employed and/or has the means to pay the child support debt.

  • Submit an income withholding order to the ex-spouse's employer- The wages of an ex-spouse can be garnished and put toward overdue child support payments. 
  • Notify the IRS so tax refunds are withheld- If the ex-spouse is due for a federal or state tax return, this return can be garnished by the IRS or a state department of taxation to pay some or all of the overdue child support debt. 
  • Seizing the ex-spouse's property- If the ex-spouse owns property that's worth money, he or she is obligated to use these assets to help pay off child support debt. Therefore, his or her property can be seized by a local child support agency. 
  • Suspending the ex-spouse's business license- If the ex-spouse is in a profession like medicine or education, he or she can be compelled to make payments a professional license suspension. 

The help of an attorney can make all the difference if you are dealing with the above issues. At the Law Office of John R Rinn, we are specialize in all things related to divorce and our family law attorneys have a track record of success in protecting our clients rights. Contact us today for a consultation. 

Can Spouses Opt Out of Child Support?

When a divorce involves children, child support usually enters the equation. However, if you and your soon to be ex spouse are both stable, you may be wondering if you and/or your ex can opt out of child support. This means that...

How Is Child Custody Determined?

Custody is often one of the most contentious parts of any divorce, so it’s no mystery why so many people need help from a child custody lawyer. The attorney will act as both a mediator and a negotiator, with the goal of obtaining the full...

What Is an Uncontested Divorce?

When two spouses agree to a divorce, filing for an uncontested divorce will save both money and time due to streamlined legal procedures. In its most basic definition, an uncontested divorce is defined as a divorce wherein both spouses are able...

How Is Property Divided in a Divorce?

In Michigan, divorce courts distribute the marital assets in a manner they feel is fair. Unlike judges in many other states, Michigan judges are not bound by strict guidelines or formulas when making these decisions. They determine which...

What Is a Collaborative Divorce?

When we think of divorce, we often think of a long, drawn out battle that’s laden with contention, jealousy, and greed. However, that’s frequently not the case. Often, two people come to a peaceful realization that their marriage...

What Does It Take to Overturn a Custody Decision?

After a divorce, it is fairly difficult when the court doesn’t rule in your favor because at that point in time, there really is nothing more you can do but follow the orders. However, after the ruling, you have the chance to convince...

What Is a Legal Annulment?

Are you wondering whether your marriage is actually valid? Legal annulment declares that marriage never existed but this can only happen in certain situations. Since it is a civil court process, it can be just as long as a divorce and should...
Page: 12 - All

Get Legal Advice Now

* Indicates required questions
Name *
Email *
Phone #
How can we help you? *
Preferred Method of Communication
Telephone E-Mail
What Do You Do If Your Spouse Refuses to Pay Child Support? - Blog - Law Offices of John R Rinn - cards
Evening & Weekend Appointments Available

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.